Friday, October 31, 2008

I've been tagged

There's a game of blogger tag going around, and I've been tagged by Sharla, at "Life as a Clay Jar". If you haven't visited her blog, I recommend a visit. I recently started reading her posts, and I think she keeps a great blog.

So, the deal is seven random or weird facts about me. Here they are:
  1. As a kid, I always wanted to be a truck driver when I grew up. I'm currently an unemployed architectural draftsman, without many prospects, due to the housing market decline. We live near a truck driving school, and Jen and I have kicked around the idea of me enrolling in the five week course to get my CDL, as there seems to always be jobs of some kind for those with a CDL. It's not an ideal job for a family man (and I'm sure it's not as glamorous as it was portrayed on Movin' On, B.J. and the Bear, or Smokey and the Bandit) but it might be a possible short-term fix and fall-back plan later.
  2. I dream of thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail. I am sure this is not as glamorous as the idea seems, either. The longest time I have spent on a backpack trip is 5 days, which is very different from 6 months, more or less. I have thought it would be neat to hike it someday with Dylan and Zachary, who are two years apart in age, as a rite of passage to adulthood. I have a neighbor who is in his sixties and has never backpacked, but has a fascination with the AT. Both he and I have read every biography of thru-hikers we can find in our library's system. This dream will likely never be realized, because the likelihood of having a job that would allow me 6 months off, even if I could afford to take 6 months off, is unlikely.
  3. I have never seen any of the Star Wars movies. I was 8 or 9 when the first one came out. Nearly everyone in my age bracket has seen them. My friend, John, a huge Star Wars fan, refers to me as "the last Star Wars virgin".
  4. I have never owned a new vehicle and I have never had an auto loan (excluding the $1500 I borrowed from Mom and Dad to buy my very first car... a 1981 VW Rabbit diesel). Instead of paying several years after I buy a vehicle, I save several years in anticipation of needing a vehicle. My target is then a 1 or 2 year old vehicle.
  5. Related to #4, I am a volunteer budget counselor through my church, trained by Crown Financial Ministries. I teach principles of Biblical stewardship and help families set attainable financial goals, set up responsible household budgets, and create debt payback schedules, etc.
  6. Even though I have always been on the shy side, I love drama. I often get involved with the nightly skits at Vacation Bible Fun or Christmas plays at church. I would love to land a role in a community theater someday, but I don't think we have one in our town.
  7. I often wished that I had more siblings. I have one brother, but I often wondered what it would have been like to live in a larger family. Still, when it came to my own family, I thought two kids was a good number. I have four. Guess I get to experience a bigger family, after all.
Tagging seven more people may be difficult. Many of the bloggers I read have already been tagged, but I'll see what I can do. How about:
  1. Kelly
  2. Jill at "Making Room for Mallory"
  3. Tracy at "Five Kids for us to Love"
  4. Michael at "Doubling Up"
  5. Chris Fabry at "The Flog"
  6. Tara at "Red Thread Journey"
  7. Tim at "Grab a Corner"

No comments:

Post a Comment