Sunday, March 18, 2012

sap's a risin'

Last Sunday was a beautiful day (as is this one, as evidenced by the fact that I am blogging outside... in my shorts... in mid-March... in northeast Ohio!)  One of the metro parks in our area hosts a maple sugaring event each spring.  We have wanted to go for several years, and finally made it this year.

Sap's a risin'... a typical early springtime sight in northeast Ohio.

There were live demonstrations of maple sugaring techniques beginning in the 1700's...

1800's...

Sampling raw sap straight from the tap.

Zachary giving the 1800's auger a try.

Lily's turn.

The buckets were empty, but normally each side would weigh over 20 pounds.  They offered Dylan a job carrying sap for 10-11 hours a day for 25¢ per day... 1800's wages!

30¢ per pound in the 1800's!

Enter the 1900's... maple syrup $1.50 per gallon.

The 2000's... gas augers and plastic tubing that connects trees together in a "pipeline" to a central collection.

Boiling down the sap at the central collection.

43 gallons of sap = 1 gallon of maple syrup

Free samples!  I don't think I've ever had real maple syrup before.  It was delicious!  Jen was all set to purchase some... but the $30 per half gallon price tag deterred her!

Small fishing lake at the park.

Appalachian music

1 comment:

  1. Wait... You never followed up if your son took the bucket brigade job or not!

    For "two bits" a day - I know I'd farm mine out! That's like $1.25 a day for me!! WOO-HOO!! Where will I spend it all??

    Too bad you could not buy some of that Maple Syrup at the 1800's or 1900's pricing!!

    Once you have had REAL maple syrup, it's hard to stomach that stuff they peddle as "Maple Flavored Syrup". I use syrup sparingly while my kids SWIM in the stuff... So REAL maple syrup is not practical at our place. I look forward to one day being able to enjoy it though...

    ReplyDelete